The Hobart Walking Club had its genesis in a meeting convened on 12th November 1929 by ET Emmett, the Director of the Government Tourist Bureau. The response was a membership of seventy enthusiasts of both genders. In 1929 the Club ran official walks about once a fortnight. Membership grew quickly and is currently well over 800 members; now walks are held nearly every day of the year. When the Club started, skiing was more popular than walking but now the main activities are bushwalking and cycling with a minor amount of skiing in winter.
Club members have been at the forefront of bushwalking exploration in Tasmania. Members pioneered the route to Federation Peak (although the first ascent was completed by the Geelong Mountaineering Club). Members completed the first traverse of the Western Arthurs, including naming of the mountains and lakes. Numerous huts and safety shelters were built by Club members and many tracks have been built and maintained by Club members.
A history of the first 81 years of the club is available: click to download (9 MB pdf file, 56 pages)